Article 10 : Small Kitchen Design
Small kitchen design may seem to be a very high design challenge in kitchen design; a small kitchen design can also be efficient, functional and beautiful. Even with a space or building restriction with limited budget for a small kitchen design, we can find that there are some options open to us to transform our small kitchen into something more ideal for our needs and daily life. Small kitchen design may present a design challenge, but they can also be a step-saving model of efficiency. It is easy to feel as though you have little or few options when working with such a tiny area. Even if you don't have a very big budget or have to deal with building restrictions, there are still many changes you can make in your kitchen to transform it into something more functional.
Modern Styles Small Kitchen Design
Small Kitchen Design: Storage
Counter space is always an important issue in any kitchen, no matter what the size of the kitchen. In a small kitchen design, the kitchen space, and therefore counter space, is very limited. Installing deeper counters in small kitchen design can help to relieve the battle between work space and appliance space on our counter. We may want to put in deep kitchen cabinets that will be able to store more. To make our kitchen more practical, organize our kitchen cabinets so that their contents are related to the area of the kitchen they are located in. Items like plates and glasses should be stored near the dishwasher while pots should be stored in cabinets by the stove.
Small Kitchen Design: Built-in Appliances
A big cause of clutter is often the result of our appliances in our small kitchen design. When our counter space is limited, having a waffle iron, coffee maker, microwave and toaster taken up what little space there is can just make you feel cramped and crowded. Whenever you can, look to have built-in appliances put in, like a built-in microwave. For other items that you don't necessarily use that often, install some sliding shelves.
Small Kitchen Design - U-Shape Kitchen Layout
Small Kitchen Design: Pantry
We don't have the space for a pantry closet doesn't mean we can't have a pantry. If we have an area that is at least two feet wide and 5 1/2 feet tall, then we can pick up a rollout pantry in small kitchen design. If we don't even have that much space to spare in small kitchen design, then reassess how we are using a closet that is located outside of your kitchen. We may just be able to make space in another closet for your kitchen storage needs. For storage you can hang up pots and pans. This is a perfect way to free up kitchen space. The insides of kitchen cabinet doors can be used to hang up everything from utensils, oven mitts and other miscellaneous items.
Small Kitchen Design: Good Lighting
Don’t forget that mirrors and lights can create illusions. By using the proper type of lighting, you can easily make your kitchen appear larger and even more comfortable. Consider using halogen lights or even lighting under your counter in your small kitchen design.
Small Kitchen Design: A Large Kitchen Sink
And always remember, your sink does not have to be in proportion to your kitchen. Large sinks are much more practical than small sinks, especially when it comes to cleaning the pots and pans. Large sinks can also be used as a utility sink for those living in an apartment or a small house. Consider a large kitchen sink in your small kitchen design.
Following is some additional tips for a small kitchen design;
- Creativity is required to find storage in a small kitchen design. Try using a hinged stair tread to store small items like a phone book.
- Manufacturers are making smaller-scaled appliances that work well in small kitchen design, for example, refrigerators only 24 inches deep as opposed to the standard 30-inch model.
- If your kitchen is at least 12 to 15 feet wide, it can accommodate freestanding storage in the center (usually an island) that is convenient from any spot in the kitchen.
- You don't have to give things up in a small kitchen design if you try a different approach. If you have room for only a small bowl sink, try using one that is deeper than average.
- Pantry storage with units that go floor to ceiling provide maximum storage in small kitchen design
- The galley kitchen, which lines up cabinets and appliances on either side of a corridor, is one of the most popular designs for small kitchen design. Everything is within easy reach for the cook.
Kitchen Cabinet | Kitchen Work Triangle | Kitchen Styles | Kitchen Layout | Kitchen Appliances | Kitchen Worktops | Plan A Kitchen Remodeling | Kitchen Design Ideas | Kitchen Design Tips | Small Kitchen Design | Kitchen Remodeling Ideas | Kitchen Cabinet Design Photo Gallery | Kitchen remodelling pictures | Kitchen cabinet pictures